Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Dangerous Virus?]]

To: Lorne Goldman <snotrek@cil.qc.ca>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Dangerous Virus?]]
From: Sean Boyle <Sean_Boyle@MENTORG.COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:20:46 -0800
It is kind of you to inform us, BUT...
According to Symantec's virus hoax webpage:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/win.a.holiday.html

© 1998 Symantec
Corporation
All rights reserved.

                     Win a Holiday
                             Aliases:
                                     Hoax
                      Infection length:
                                     Hoax
                      Area of infection:
                                     Hoax
                          Likelihood:
                                     Hoax
                      Region reported:
                                     Online
                       Characteristics:
                                     Hoax
                      Target platform:
                                     Hoax
                         Trigger date:
                                     Hoax

                     Win a Holiday is not a virus. It is a hoax. The "virus"
does
not exist. There is currently no virus that
                     has the characteristics ascribed to "Win a Holiday." It is
sham, meant only to panic new or
                     inexperienced computer users. In addition, it is a mild
variant of the "Join the Crew" hoax (form 4).

                     The hoax message includes the following "warning:"

                          VIRUS WARNING !!!!!!

                          If you receive an email titled "WIN A HOLIDAY" DO NOT
open it. It
                          will erase everything on your hard drive. Forward this
letter out
                          as many people as you can. This is a new, very
malicious
virus and
                          not many people know about it. This information was
announced
                          yesterday morning from Microsoft; please share it with
everyone
                          that might access the Internet. Once again, pass this
along to
                          EVERYONE in our address book so that this may be
stopped.
Also, do
                          not open or even look at any mail that says "RETURNED
OR
UNABLE TO
                          DELIVER" This virus will attach itself to your
computer
components
                          and render them useless. Immediately delete any mail
items that
                          say this. AOL has said that this is a very dangerous
virus and
                          that there is NO remedy for it at this time. Please
practice
                          cautionary measures and forward this to all your
online
friends
                          ASAP.

                     Please ignore any messages regarding this supposed "virus"
and
do not pass on any messages
                     regarding it. Passing on messages about this hoax serves
only
to further propagate it.