F2 front end progress

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: F2 front end progress
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 22:46:04 EST
I've got both front hub/spindle/brake units off the car.  I only found a
couple of things I did not expect.  One was the two pins that position the
steering drop arm on the sliding axle.  The other was the aluminium spacer.
There is a rather vague reference to the spacer in Birks's book, but the
positioning pins were unexpected.  At first I thought it was a bodge job !!

There were several real bodge jobs though.  At some time the spindles must
have corroded into the sliding axles.  Both spindles are ruined as the result
of applying a grinder  to the surface where they go thorough the spindle.
They wobble rather generously.  I've got quotes to make new spindles following
Cooms drawings between $600 to $320 !

The  outer bearings were loose in the aluminium hubs on both sides.  One side
had a shim of sheet metal fitted to take up the slop.  No cracks evident in
either hub though. Both will be replaced with new hubs from MOGSPARES.

The brakes had been improperly installed so that the shoes could not self
center, as a result one set on each side is worn rather more than the other.
The brake drums are in very poor shape also.  One side has huge pits into the
material.  Both are scored severely. Must check Coombs book, seem to recal he
indicated that the drums cannot be turned.  Where can I turn if that's the
case ??

Maybe tomorrow I'll disassemble the sliding axles, or if the weather holds
I'll take a spin in the TR3 !  Tuned it up today after the aborted run to Taos
over the holidays..

Anyone have any US source for brake cables ?? I've written  MOGSPARES .  Mine
are a ittle frayed, love to get replacements in while it's all apart.

Also, anyone ever replaced the two bolt front engine mount ?  It appears easy
to fabricate a new one using all the cover bolts rather than just two as
suggested by TMTWC.

Bob Paul
 Corrales NM