Re: Of Valve springs, Water pumps, Radiators and Such

To: <dames@parker.com>
Subject: Re: Of Valve springs, Water pumps, Radiators and Such
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:03:56 -0800
The most likely reason that your cam and lifters went bad is that the
lifters were not hard enough. We hardness test ALL lifters that we use in
our engines, especially NEW ONES.  In the last 2 years I returned at least
10 lifters to the TRF that were under Rockwell 50 hardness.  I have also
returned many to Moss that were to soft.
Original lifters were always harder than 53 and sometimes they went as hard
as 57.  I have received some new ones that checked at 19!  The criterion
that we use is 50 to 53 for a stock engine with stock spring pressures,
54 and above for anything with higher spring pressures than stock.  For a
full race engine with 135# on the seat and 225# or more at full open we sort
out sets that check at 56 and above.  We also have all our cams ground with
tapered lobes to match the radius on the base of the tappets.  The original
stock cams did not have a taper and that contributed to their early failure.
We have not had a cam or tappet failure  that I am aware of in the last 15
years . Of course we always is Molybdenum disulfide assembly lube paste on
all tappets and lifters.
Regards, Greg Solow