+4 crank

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: +4 crank
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 06:21:04 -0800
I have had the crank from my +4 (Triumph engine) machined down .030 on both
the mains and the rod big ends. Does anyone have any experience with the
durability of these cranks when machined down from the standard dimensions?
I do not plan to race this car and will be using it for street use only. I
notice in the Moss Triumph catalog that they sell both mains and rod
bearings sized to .040 over. I am however having a very difficult time
finding the .030 bearings. Does anyone have a set of .030 mains that they
would be willing to sell?

I have had experience with MG T type engines and one of the problems they
have is fatigue over the years which eventually leads to a broken crank.
Those cranks are cast and not forged like more modern ones and I have seen
many break. I don't have any experience on the durability of the Triumph
cranks so if anyone can enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Phil Roettjer
Upton, Ma
1967 +4