RE: Responding - again.

To: alevisen@gdhscats.org, "'Gerry Willburn'" <Gerry.Willburn@trw.com>
Subject: RE: Responding - again.
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:46:23 -0500
Gerry & Arlo,

Now that we're well into psychoanalysing cars or owners, I wonder if it is
also a matter of supply and demand.  From what I've seen of the Miata (and
I've never driven one or ridden in one), the design and construction are
excellent.  If the car has any downside at all, it is "to common."  Imagine,
you can walk (drive) to your nearest Mazda dealer (and in most cases there
is at least one within 100 miles) and order one or pick one up.  Imagine
that you then notice that "the kid-on-your-block" has one just like it.
Imagine if the "kid" is of the female kind [this just for you male
chauvinists ;-)]

Imagine now that instead of a Toyota badge, the car sported a Lotus badge
and that there were only two Lotus dealers in the US and one in Canada and
that you had to wait five years just to get one in whatever colour it
happened to arrive.

Whether the Miata will follow the same path as the Sprite will depend very
much on what arrives next on the horizon.  Why, just the other week, the
Winnipeg Free Press featured an article on a restored Nash Metropolitan.

Just some thoughts.

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4
Pinawa, MB (that's "Manitoba" for those of you who are wondering)