F2 progress report & questions

To: British-cars-pre-war@autox.team.net
Subject: F2 progress report & questions
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:33:06 EST
I've had a few more minutes to work on the F2 front end. As before it has been
amusing to say the least.
Got the new Lucas brand tyres mounted on the wheels. I have to do some high
visability things to keep up the motivation.  They look splendid.  After
fighting with one tire using my 'spoons' I took the lot the the local Harley
dealer and they took care of it.  This had a marked reduction on the use of
foul language about the garage ! Couldn't balance them though.

Located all new front and rear bearings from an outfit called Kamin
Engineering in Albuquerque, but they have offices across the US.  They also
had the chain.  10 ft in a box as reported by Fred Sisson earlier.  Got the
tool to pop the rivet to cut the chain as well. Seems like a 'must have' tool
for any chain driven vehicle's on board kit.  They have been very helpful with
my nuisance inquiries.

There are a couple of issues I am soliciting input on, to wit:

The vertical measurements beween the lugs on the cross head differ by 1/8 inch
when measuring the right and left side.  Is this within 'normal' variation ?
The rebound spring on one side has worn a groove into the bottom lug.  I'ts
not too bad, thought a washer installed might take up the 1/8 inch.

The slider pins I removed are not similar to any Clarrie illustrates in his
book.  The top threaded part is longer by an inch or so.  As it was installed,
the top threaded part was attached to the wing support with an odd combination
of nuts, like a wheel lug nut !!  This resulted in forcing the wings up higher
when the bracket rested on the top of the lug nut.  The wing bracket also has
a S or Z shaped extension welded to the wing stay bracket which attaches to
the threaded end of the diagonal rod shaped crosshead support.  It appears
that, with removal of the Z extension, the newly acquired center pins will
carry the wing support bracket fine and at a lower position.  Anyone have any
comments on either the presence of or the removal of the Z bracket?

Also I noticed that those rod shaped diagonal cross head supports which go
from the frame to the top crosshead tube are attached through the cross head
with a nut only on one side of the cross head at the terminal end of the
support.  As it was installed on this particular F2, it would draw down on the
cross head as it was tightened, but provided no support against any downward
movement of the crosshead.  I'm guessing that a nut threaded onto the support
rod on both sides of the crosshead tube would be superior.  Any comments?

I need to have the brake drums turned due to severe scoring.  Clarrie suggests
thicker linings when this is done.  Getting the shoes relined should be no
problem, but how does one know how thick the new linings should be ?  How
thick were they originally?

Any and all comments or advice solicited.

Bob Paul
F376 Morgan
Corrales NM