Re: kingpins

To: "L.D. McLaughlin, Jr." <ldmcjr@zebra.net>,
Subject: Re: kingpins
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 14:54:40 -0800
With the car sitting on the ground at normal ride height,  have a friend
grab the top of the front wheel and push inward toward the center of the car
and then pull outward away from the car.  This must be done with some degree
of force.  While your friend is doing this, take a bright light and look
carefully at the point where the spindle rests on the top of the rebound
spring ( that is the  small lower spring at the bottom of the kingpin).
Look for side to side movement at this point.  This is where the most wear
occurs on the kingpin.  With  unworn parts there will be no movement, the
greater the sear the more the movement. More than 1/8 inch of play at this
point is an indication of worn out bushings and probably kingpins also.  1/8
inch of wear at this point probably equals about 1/2 inch or more of
movement at the edge of the tire.  Movement at the edge of the tire can also
indicate play in the front wheel bearings. That is why it is important to
look at the interface of the rebound spring and spindle to ascertain exactly
where the play is located.
                                                                Regards,
Greg Solow