Wire wheels.

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Wire wheels.
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@tag.csiro.au>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:44:33 +1000
Wire wheels off an MGA worked fine when I tried them on my 1971 4/4. These
are 15" and the offset is actually a little better than standard giving a
tad more clearance between front tyre and subframe.

I have just fitted Continental 185/65 x 15" tyres to my 5" wide wire
wheels. The only place they rub is on the exhuast at the rear (only very
slightly on hard cornering). The clearance at the front is about a fag
(sorry cigarette) paper when the car is standing with the wheels straight
ahead. Surprisingly they do not rub regardless of how hard I push it. I do
however plan to have the offset altered slightly the next time I have the
wheels adjusted.

Oh yes, handling has improved enormously, esp. in the wet, the old 165 X
15" Metrics (a USA brand) had negative grip in the wet! Nice if you liked
figure skating but otherwise.....

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the tapers on the wheels
machined. Mine do not seem to sit uniformly to the hubs which probably
contributes to them loosening slightly over time.

Cheers

Steve (about to drive home in the rain) Moore

Stephen S. Moore
Principle Research Scientist
Beef CRC Molecular Genetics Sub Program Leader
CSIRO, Tropical Agriculture
Molecular Animal Genetics Centre
Level 3, Gehrmann Laboratories
University of Queensland, St. Lucia, 4072

ph 61 7 3214 2476
fax 61 7 3214 2480