Re: Engine pickling

To: "Jeff Webster" <carfindr@tiac.net>, <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine pickling
From: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:47:34 -0500
There's a product sold for winterizing outboard motors called "Fogging Oil"
which comes in an aerosol can. You spray it into the intake of the running
engine till it dies, then pull the plugs and spray some more down the
cylinders and turn it over by hand a few times. A two stroke pulls its
mixture through the crankcase, so spraying into the intake is very
effective at oiling the whole cylinder wall. Don't know how well it will
work on a four stroke.

I bought an engine for my '38 Cadillac that was in a junkyard wreck. The
owner used to dump a quart of waste oil down the carb every year and turn
it over a few times by hand. It was still free after several years in his
yard and he charged me plenty for it.

Regarding the clutch, If you install a carefully measured 2X4 between the
seat bottom or frame crossmember and the clutch pedal, you can leave the
clutch disengaged with no danger of seizing the pressure plate to the
clutch disk. My '67 +4 arrived with a frozen clutch that I freed by pulling
the car about 50 feet along the street in third gear with my foot on the
clutch till it broke free.

Jerry Murphy