re: Monster Lug Nuts (Part Deux)

To: <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Monster Lug Nuts (Part Deux)
From: "Jeff Webster" <carfindr@tiac.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:17:42 -0400
Well I have discovered a couple of things since we last spoke. Firstly, that
the PO or someone, had over tightened the lug nuts on that wheel - with the
result that two lug bolts had stripped threads in the hub, one sheared off
and the last one came off OK.
The other thing is, that the studs aren't welded in but rather, simply
screwed in and center punched from the back in such a way to splay the stud
so it can be unscrewed.
Now I am staring the rear Brakes on my 58 + 4. I find one siezed adjuster,
(now free, after some persuasion with a torch) and a non returning brake
mechanism.
I gather from inspecting this particular set up, that the brake slave
cylinder is supposed to move up and down when the brakes are applied, (in
order to push the lower shoe out when the upper one does) - that brings me
to the question de jour - I have to apply some kind of lubricant to this
slave cylinder, but what? A dab of high temp grease? Graphite? Light oil?
Suggestions please.

Regards,

Jeff