Roadster backrest construction.

To: <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Roadster backrest construction.
From: "Jeff Webster" <carfindr@tiac.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 19:12:33 -0400
Well, I just got back from Eric's house. (He has a '59 Plus four roadster
that he is restoring as a SS - it gonna look incredible) ) and I looked at
his seat. It the one that most of us would die for - original, well used,
with that great patina. His seat base measured 20L" x 13W", his seat
cushions however were only 17L" x 14.5W" (13.5W" at the gearbox notch) They
tapered from 3" deep at the front edge to 2" deep at the rear edge, where
the zipper was.
Could someone explain why the cushion is shorter than the base? And is there
really two inches of padding over the driveshaft tunnel?
Secondly, has anyone ever had to reproduce a Roadster seat back? (The wood
part I mean.)
I don't want to strip mine apart until my upholsterer has had a chance to
get a pattern from the cover - but from what I can see part of the back is
less than quarter inch thick, some is over half inch thick and there are two
rows of three screws that run vertically roughly where the drivers and
passengers backs would be?
Can anyone shed some light....
Many thanks,

Jeff