WATER PUMP

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: WATER PUMP
From: HOOGLY@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 15:37:33 EDT
The water pump on my 65 +4 is making complaining noises and the spindle
wobbles a bit so my conclusion is that I need a new one.  The first place I
looked was the Moss catalogue where the going price is $96.  Not bad.  I then
looked in my Morgan Spares catalogue ( nice publication with great diagrams)
and saw they were asking $140.  They pictures didn't look exactly the same.
The next place I went to was the Morgan List Archive (what a resource!) and
found 43 related articles. It would appear that Morgans were fitted with
water pumps that were modified in some way from the original TR design and
that a TR replacement apparently would not do the job.  Reported differences
include pulley size and type, bearings size, impeller dimensions etc.  My
(old) pump does not appear original, not having the grease fitting found on
original equipment but would seem to be an aftermarket version, possibly a
TR. The pulley is held on by a nut on the end of the shaft and the fan is
bolted to the front of the pulley.  However the fan belt is well aligned with
the dynamo and crankshaft so I don't appear to have any of the problems I've
heard about shafts being different lengths.  Before I spend good money on
buying the wrong part, does anyone have any further knowledge or experience
the can shed on this issue?
Thanks
John Rogers
65 +4