OOPS! Lucas Aircraft Electronics?

To: Morris@autox.team.net
Subject: OOPS! Lucas Aircraft Electronics?
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 08:53:12 -0700 (PDT)
Sunday April 25, 7:00 pm Eastern Time

Enjoy the flight -- we're not crashing after all

LONDON, April 25 (Reuters) - Nearly 400 British Airways (quote from Yahoo!
UK & Ireland:

Passengers flying from San Francisco to London got the fright of
their lives when a recorded message mistakenly warned they were about to
crash into the sea.

The airline apologised for the incident on Sunday, saying cabin crew on the
Boeing 747 quickly told the passengers that the crash landing message was
incorrect.

But two elderly passengers suffered anxiety attacks and had to be helped by
a doctor who was on board the flight at the weekend.

The recording told the 391 passengers to prepare for the crash landing about
three hours into the flight. The plane went on to
land safely at London's Heathrow airport on Saturday.

``We realise how distressing the incident was for our passengers, and we do
apologise to them,'' a British Airways spokeswoman said.

``Clearly, this should not have happened and we're treating the matter very
seriously. An investigation is under way. We do not know (the cause) yet,
but we know that it was not a technical fault with the system,'' she said.

The airline said it was too early to say whether passengers would receive
any compensation.