Saint Malvern's Dance/Shake, etc.

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Saint Malvern's Dance/Shake, etc.
From: Jane & Elton Wright <delicate@rev.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 10:38:28 -0400
Dear All,

I have read with interest the discussion on front end shake, its causes and
cures.  I haven't seen mentioned the Morgan disease so common that it has a
name.  Saint Malvern's dance in Morgans is similar to Saint Vitus's dance
(Chorea) in humans, except the human ailment is chronic and the automotive
ailment wil pop up every so often and scare the hell out of you.  On
certain road conditons, not necessairly bad, the harmonics of the road
surfaces transfering up into the suspension of the Morgan will put the
whole front end into a shake where you think the wheels are coming off.  I
am certain that worn kingpins and other components can make the matter
worse, or even cause their own problems, but Saint Malvern's dance is very
real and can be experienced by nearly anyone driving a Morgan.  I
experienced Saint Malvern's dance with a Plus 4 that I was driving to a
nearby community in hopes of selling the car. I was traveling over a
commonly used road when all of a sudden the whole world seemed to be
shaking.  I stopped the car and investigated everything I could think of
and found nothing wrong.  I had restored the car and driven it for several
years, never experiencing anything like it before.  I got my nerve back and
continued on to my destination over mountain roads and never had a problem
after that.  I sold the car to a gentlemen locally and he has never
mentioned having the problem since.  I bought the car in 1986 and see it
regularly.  Saint Malvern's dance only occurred once during that time that
I know of. Perhaps the car didn't want to be sold, I don't know.  Perhaps
some of you old salts out there could share your own Saint Malvern's
experiences with the uninitiated.

Cheers,

Elton

Elton & Jane Wright             voice: 540-389-6573
Salem, VA, USA                  email: delicate@rev.net
1967 Morgan Plus Four Tourer    1954 Morris Minor