RE: Kingpins/Morgan Shake?

To: "'Morgan List'" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Kingpins/Morgan Shake?
From: "Manfred Brown" <m-brown@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:58:07 +0100
Gemme boxes are not standard on +8's although I have one on mine (1987) - I
wanted the more direct steering that it offers over the rack and pinion -
and Morgan's were happy to fit it when building the car.

Concerning the bouncing shimmy, my previous +8 used to get it very badly. I
had bought the car 2nd hand from a dealer (who has since changed hands) who
changed springs, brake discs, wheels, balancing all to no avail. Finally a
knowledgeable friend took a look and the damper blades were slightly worn.
These must have zero forward/backward movement on the chassis end but must
be able to move in and out of the shims and be well greased. It appears that
some cars are more susceptible than others and can get away with a less
perfect set up. Considering how cheap the damper blades are and how easy to
fit, once I had found the solution, I never had the problem again.

Another interesting phenomenon is that the shake tends to happen at ~52 MPH.
Supposedly this speed represents the resonant frequency of the front
suspension which is why one can accelerate through the shake and not hit it
again until 104 MPH when its really scary.

Manfred.