A non-starter

To: morgans@autox.team.net, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: A non-starter
From: Larry Mamlet <mamlet@dmv.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 17:35:09 -0400
I had been happily using my '63 4/4 1600cc roadster until it wouldn't
start.  Solenoid would click and motor might turn over a bit, might start
with cables from another vehicle at about 2000 rpms, not if supplying
vehicle was at idle.

Using traditional drunk-and-lampost reasoning, replaced battery (old one
was fine) and repaired broken field wire at terminal on generator.

I added my 6-amp charger to the circuit, and got 13.8 volts at the starter
cable detached from starter.

Attempting start at 13.8v, voltage dropped to 9.? v instantly, engine
turned only part of one revolution.  If I persisted with the
starter-switch, starter cable heated up enough to make grease-smoke at
solenoid connection.

Question 1:
What sorts of ills might be ailing the starter?  The motor isn't frozen; in
fact I can push car back and forth in 2nd gear and see the motor turning.
And once I use jumpers, the motor starts instantly and runs normally; so
the starter, which I think was rebuilt within the past few thousand miles,
must be the problem.

Question 2:
Fred Sisson's book makes switching to an alternator sound easy, especially
when combined with Bob Noguera's dummy regulator trick.  And the switch to
negative ground seems desirable.  But, will this also necessitate switching
the leads on windscreen-wipers and -washer and electric fan, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Larry Mamlet