Re: Over heating

To: "Ed Herman" <edherman@concentric.net>,
Subject: Re: Over heating
From: "Stuart J. Ross" <stuross@nac.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:34:47 -0400
Several years ago I ran an article in The Morganeer about a simple
air dam using rubber floor mat material to cause disruption of the
air flow under the car. I did it and it helped. it was almost invisible
from outside the car, so it wasn't a detraction to the looks. Finally
I had a metal "scoop" added which also helped and looks ok and doesn't
change anything in the way the car handles. A few years ago at a Mog
in Charlottsville, I spoke to Fred Sissons who showed me how to block off
the sides
of the radiator so no air gets around it and that forces air through the
louvers.
It seems that the louvers don't vent as much engine heat as we think. I
never
did that, but if Fred says it works, I am sure it does. If memory serves me
(and lately I have "senior moments") someone did  a wind tunnel test on a
Morgan
and showed how the hot air recirculates in the engine compartment and
doesn't
escape through the louvers, but returns through the radiator. Does anyone
else remember that?
I have often said "air....damn!" when the car overheated.