Re: unnecessary email (Subject Lines are the REAL Problem)

To: gdm@po.cwru.edu, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: unnecessary email (Subject Lines are the REAL Problem)
From: Wildbil923@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:06:17 EDT
Yes, personal chit-chat takes up space and is annoying.  And, yes, I'd like
to see listers use more discretion as to what they post to the whole list and
what they post privately.  But, speaking for those of us who belong to lots
of lists, the big problem is most people give very little thought regarding
the subject line attached to the e-mail.  I blow away about 99 percent of
what's posted to the SOL lists because I cannot tell from the subject line
precisely what the e-mail is about.  Those who want to reach the largest
audience of potential respondents would be well advised to include in their
subject line the YEAR, MAKE, AND MODEL  of the car and the nature of the
problem.  For example rather than using the subject line "Stuck!"  it would
be more helpful if the subject line read something more like "1954 Morgan 4/4
- Stuck in Reverse Gear".  I may know something about  '54 Morgan gearboxes,
but I'm not likely to open an one of the 100 or so e-mails I get each day
unless I know it pertains to a subject with which I'm familiar.  I just don't
have the time.  Surely, there are others out there in a similar situation.

Just my .02.

Take care and happy Morganeering.

Bill