Re: Parallel Universe

To: RCooperman@aol.com, morgans@autox.team.net, fkuzyk@cgocable.net
Subject: Re: Parallel Universe
From: "Snake 357" <snake357@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:49:01 PDT
Richard,
I too have been following the thread for a "super North American club". I
tend to disagree on your point of "syphoning" from the list.

Let's recap. John Blair pointed out that in his view the 450 member MCCDC
was not living up to the needs of most members. Many others spoke about the
merits of the 4000 member (from all over the world)MSCC both pro & con.
Mostly con, as many felt that the MSCC does little for them in their part of
the world. I think that no traditional club can be all things to all people.
But new groups will continue to emerge. People will always want to interact
face to face & to attend events.

New web sites will continue to emerge, with a focus on a particular club,
business, or individual's interests. But no site can be all things to all
people. This email list didn't achieve it's current membership or its
activity level overnite. It continues to serve the members of the list well
at quick answers to problems, etc. It will continue to do so. But can you
post a photo? A technical drawing? Any attachment? Chat? Where is this
siphoning off? Perhaps it just fear of something new.

I don't think Fred K's effort is the only answer for more interaction, but
it does show future potential. Such a free "community" that allows anyone to
create the content easily & can be viewed by non-members (an advantage over
this list) may serve the purposes of a larger club. Whether or not a
traditional style super club comes to be.

I was amazed by what I saw & joined. I uploaded a photo of a Miscellany
color cover shot of a Morgan. My little contribution. The program creates
it's own thumbnail, captions & descriptions. Sure, no fancy fonts or colors
but it was simple. I, me, myself; made an addition to a Morgan web site
instantly! I wish I had the gear for a voice chat.

Email lists have been around for some time. New internet services will come
out every day: Internet Telephony, wireless connection of laptops to
cellular nets, new multi-media. I think we should take advantage of new ways
to communicate. Then again, 2 cans & a string work for some. Buggy whip
makers couldn't foresee the impact that horse-less carriages would
eventually have.

Snake357
Guns don't kill people (or ideas), people do.