RE: Answer & Question - Defroster

To: Gary <garc@iinet.net.au>,
Subject: RE: Answer & Question - Defroster
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 99 22:41:30 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

     Gary
Know how the suction cup mirror on occasions falls into your lap while
driving? Well the defroster do too but they are HOT HOT HOT !!!  After the
first time I'm sure they were thrown into a  trash bin .

Bob  Nogueira
1-------- REPLY, Original message follows --------

> Date: Monday, 23-Aug-99 10:47 PM
>
> From: Gary                     \ Internet:    (garc@iinet.net.au)
> To:   MORGANS                  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: RE: Answer & Question - Defroster
>
> Kat, I've just realised that no-one seems to have commented on the
defroster. I
> remember being able to buy these things in the local car parts shop.  The
ones
> I remember were about 1 foot long and plugged into the cigarette
lighter/power
> outlets.  I recall a friend of mine got one for his 1948 Austin in a vain
> attempt to keep the windscreen clear - they were totally useless as a
defroster
> but a great piece of Heath Robinson engineering.  I remember that it
hardly
> heated up at all - but that may have been a function of his car's
electrics.
> They were sold because I think that few English cars had heaters until the
mid
> 1960s - certainly the ones sold here - although the more upmarket cars had
them
> earlier.  They were mostly for the great mass of small Austins, Morris',
Fords
> etc that had an interior of vast acres of painted steel with a Morgan type
> ignition/light switch and a speedo with fuel gauge let into it - nothing
else.

> It would be worth having a close look at yours as I strongly suspect it
was one
> of these after-market items although it may have been wired in at some
stage.

> Cheers
>
> Gary Arcus
> 1954 +4