Re: Monterey Landmark Question

To: "Cris Vandagriff" <hmsa@email.msn.com>, <Jhalfdime@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Monterey Landmark Question
From: "Greg Solow" <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 21:23:52 -0700
I sure had a great time at the Historics!.. Our race group was well matched,
(283 Corvettes, Porsches, Morgans, Alfas, MG As, etc).
It was also a Morgan Celebration with a Special Diner with Peter Morgan.  It
was a shame he couldn't be at the race track on Sunday to see Richard
Freshman in Baby Doll IV take 1'st overall in group 3B !
There was a big Morgan owner turnout on Saturday to see the SLRs race, and
Bill Fink in his red car and Adrian Van Der Kroft
in his polished alloy car dueled throughout the whole race, swaping
positions a number of times. Unfortunatly the television coverage was only
of the lead cars and I don't think that either of the SLRs got more than a
1/4 second flash onto the screen with no mention of them  by the anouncers.
 Speedvision  gave Richard great coverage and Malcom Cox recieved lots of
good exposure as the "in car camera car" but no one else got much coverage
at all in race 3B, the race that I was in.  I  had a serious duel with Brian
Howlet in another Morgan who passed me under braking on the inside line into
the corkscrew with his right front tire locked up and smoking!  At least
that should have been on TV!  I later was able to get back by him in a less
dramatic fashion when he was held up momentarily as we were lapping slower
cars.  This was only after he had shut the door on me two times as I tried
to get inside him at turn one and again at the apex of turn two.  There was
no quarter given !  I had to get on the binders HARD to avoid hitting his
car at least two times.   I finally got clear and was catching the Corvette
in 6'th place as the race ended.  Another lap or two and I would have had
him.  Don't let anyone tell you this isn't racing!  It certainly is.  The
only differences from "modern racing " are the car preperation  rules and
not considering the car as a tool to win at all costs.  NO BODY CONTACT
ALLOWED and NO BODY DAMAGE  ALLOWED  are the rules that I consider
paramount..
    After watching the TV coverage on Speedvision of the British Touring Car
Championship races, which is GREAT on most Saturday mornings, I was hoping
the TV coverage of this event would be similar. Fat Chance. Boy was I
disapointed. I think there needs to be a change of producers.  With all of
the cameras distributted around the track, I expected coverage of every good
dice within each field.  What a shame it didn't happen that way. Well it
least it is a start as far as ?Vintage Race coverage goes.
                                        Regards, Greg Solow