1600 Comp.

To: Michael Geluch <Michael_Geluch@bc.sympatico.ca>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: 1600 Comp.
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:04:50 -0400
At 11:57 AM 9/15/99 -0700, Michael Geluch wrote:

>1.
>I have a '69 4/4 with a 1600 competition engine with webers, how can I
>wring more speed and power out of the car without killing myself, my
>pocket book and the other parts of the car which have to deal with this
>sudden ability to move quicker.....electronic ignition, carb work, more
>speed and more power = more braking ability, advancing the distributor,
>etc etc ?

Michael,

  If you have a 1600 comp. and the webers, you are on your way.  About
the only thing you can do cheapely is put in a hotter cam.

There's a old adage:

   "Speed cost money.  How fast can you afford to go?"

The next thing to do is get a catalogue from Dave Bean (in my vendors
list on my Morgan web page - below).  But again it costs.  About the best
you'll do is 200hp with a reliable eng.  But it costs about $8,000!!!!

>2. Since I have a ford engine, can I convert my wiring system to a ford
>system and get rid of the lucas concerns ?

Not really if you are thinking of a US Ford.  The wiring on the Morgan is
unique.  That said, there is a lot you can do to help the wiring.  For all
of the jokes about Lucas electricals, I've had very little trouble with any
of it in all my LBCs.

Here are some things you can do:

1. Disconnect all the bullet connectors.  Now clean the wires, bullets, and
   their plugs with some phosphoric acid - commonly called metal conditioner
   or OSHPO.  This will remove the tarnish and resistance in the connection.

2. At every connection where the bullets go, (ie. the tail lights, and the
   bullet plugs) clean them and then easily crimp them with a pair of pliers
   to get a nice tight fit.

3. Clean ALL grounds!!!!

4. Remove all the bullet connectors by soldering the wires together!
   This makes working on the system or removing various items difficult.
   You could replace all the connectors with a "newer" type of connector
   of your choice - depending on which connector you are replacing.  For
   example: I'd solder the wires onto the tail light assemblies and then
   cut the wires under the fenders and put a connector there that has a
   better seal and or wrap the connector with electrical tape.

>3. For many years morgan didn't come into the states, what did other people
>in other countries do with their cars...ie cars of the '70 and early '80's ?

Don't know what you mean.  The US was the only place that outlawed the cars.
People in other countries were finally able to get a Morgan!!!

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org