Re: Racing insurance

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Racing insurance
From: "William Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:11:59 -0500
Just a historical note here- probably not useful in any practical sense.
 Back in the good old days of GP racing, (pre Bernie "F1") Rob Walker
wrote the coverage for Road and Track.  In one race Ken Tyrell had both
(or possible all three) of his chassis written off yet, Rob noticed, he
seemed quite chipper after the race.  On being asked, Ken offered that,
on a hunch, he had insured his cars with Lloyd's of London prior to the
race.   I don't remember if the premium was mentioned but, by the tone
of the conversation, Ken seemed to feel he did OK.  On the other hand,
the conversation left no doubt that Ken did not make a habit of ensuring
his cars and, with Jackie Stewart as his driver, you can bet that they
were a fiscally responsible bunch ;-)

So I guess you can (or at least could) buy insurance for race cars but
I doubt that it would be something that would pay off in the long run.

Is it just nostalgia or was GP racing more fun to follow back then.
This year the points battle is very tight between McClaren and Ferrari-
two of the more storied teams- yet it just doesn't have the excitment of
the old days.  If I hear about another race that is won with good pit
strategy I am going to throw up.  Anyway, it was nice to have this
thread bring back some good memories.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
R&T subscriber for 30 years although now it is more out of habit than
for content.  Peter Egan is still a good read.