Re: Morgans and MG Ts

To: Peter Windhorst <Peter.Windhorst@kp.org>
Subject: Re: Morgans and MG Ts
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 23:47:21 +0100
Peter Windhorst <Peter.Windhorst@kp.org> writes
>Let me ripple the pond a bit by asking, in all sincerity and naiveté, about
>the
>origins of the Morgan body style. Is it simply a copy of the MG T-series or
>does
>it claim some independent provenance (or is it the other way around, Morgan
>first)?

MG T-series     TA Midget       Mid 1936-early 1939
                TB Midget       early to late 1939
                TC Midget       late 1945-late 1949
                TD              1949-1953
                TC              1953-1955

The Morgan 4 wheeler body style hardly changed from 1936 to 1953/54,
although the +4 was quite a bit bigger than the 4-4 or 4/4 series I. As
I have demonstrated with my little table above, that makes them close
contemporaries, so this may be a chicken and egg problem!

A pre war 3 wheeler family model looks very like an early 4-4, so I
think it's easy to see the lineage.

>(It would be an added bonus if the formidable Mrs. Simpson of the Morgan
>Sports Car Club fielded this question.)

Nice Idea! Mrs Simpson has decided to resign as Company Secretary due to
her "other business commitments", (Miscellany, August 1999, page 3,
Chairman's Column by Phil Hawes). It's a shame that the rest of the
Directors don't follow her example.
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str