Re: temp gauge

To: "Amy Bergman" <amyantiq@gate.net>, <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: temp gauge
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 06:44:47 -0700
The best place to install any temperature gauge that you want to use to
indicate engine temperature is in the engine not the radiator.  The
thermostat housing is the proper location.  This will read the hottest water
temp in the engine and will read whether the thermostat is open or shut.  If
the gauge is in the radiator, if a hose were to burst and all of the water
were to run out of the engine, there would be no water circulating from the
engine to the radiator and the gauge would read cold at the same time that
the engine would be overheating badly!
The main reason that many early British sports cars had the sender in the
radiator was that it was easier to locate it there than to reengineer parts
of the engine to make it possible to put the sender in the engine where it
really belongs.

Regards, Greg Solow