Re: new 4 seater

To: "Evan Matthews" <keboom05@hotmail.com>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: new 4 seater
From: "David P. Crandall" <davidc@netwrk.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 11:10:29 -0500
Hi fellow moggers - when I visited the factory this past August, I paid close
attention to the new 4-seater.  Most impressive to me was the engineering
involved in getting the two rear seats capable of handling "big" people along
with the truly nifty seat belt arrangement.

As to the aesthetics [noting that I've never been much enamored of the 4-seater
anyway and prefer 60's styles car dimensions], the new car is quite handsome w/
the hood lowered, IMHO.  When that sucker gets hoisted, the view becomes a bit
more awkward.  As it happened, a Brit who I'd met during Morgans Over America
1990 was at the factory with a friend who was interested in a car for his
family.  They took test drives/rides in both and concluded the lines of the
"old" car were preferable.  [I think    the factory had one he could buy on the
spot; don't know if he has.]

Anyway, the car certainly offers many advantages for those who need/want the
extra seating and reflect the factory's new found commitment to innovation.  Of
course, the real test will be the brand-new Millenium Morgan based on the race
car; that project was under newly-heightened strict security in August so can't
report any developments there.

As an aside, a small but very nice part of my visit was Mick's invitation to
join the Boston cluster of Morgan Factory visitors who have put a pushpin in a
big map of the US.  The distribution of Mogs across the USA is interesting to
see, so thanks to Chris Towner who initiated the idea some time back during one
of his regular forays across the pond and the friendly factory folk who've
maintained its position of prominence in the dispatch bay!

Meantime, a grand Happy Xmas and Millenial New Year to all from a New Englander
who's glad we haven't had any snow yet!

David Crandall [aka mogdriver] 1963 +4 DHC  1966 4/4

At 01:41 AM 12/2/99 PST, Evan Matthews wrote:

>Howdy Folks

>I recently received a letter from the Morgan motor company that also

>contained a newsletter called the “Malvern Link”. According to the

>newsletter the production at the Morgan factory has increased from 10 to 11

>cars per week. Also the production of the +4 will cease in February 2000.

>This is due to the end of production of the two-litre engine currently

>supplied to Morgan for the +4. There are apparently no plans to directly

>replace the +4.

>Most interesting to me was the new 4/4 four seater. The four seater has a

>completely new body from the door hinges back. The rear bench seat has been

>replaced with two individual bucket seats that apparently fold to give a

>flat load space. There have been a few other changes as well.

>There are a few photos of the car and it looks to me a little ugly. Has

>anyone out there seen one in the flesh? If you have what do you think?

>Kind Regards

>Evan

David P. Crandall, President

The NETWORK,Inc.

136 Fenno Drive

Rowley, Massachusetts 01969

978-948-7764 [O], 978-948-7836 [fax]

1-800-877-5400 [toll-free]

davidc@netwrk.org [email]

<italic>"Creating Change Together Since 1969"</italic>