Re: Fuel gauge calibration

To: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>,
Subject: Re: Fuel gauge calibration
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 99 23:52:51 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

William:
    Very good  method for adjusting the fuel gauge but  with all that
Ohm, resistors, and one-half Watt 1%  stuff your  Jaguar breeding is showing
. Hell this is Morgan, We talk angle iron and hammers :)
A method that I have used, and I'm sure will work for other electrically
challenged owners is as follows :
Remove the sending unit from the tank .  Place the mounting plate of the
sending unit on the top edge of a piece of  poster board .(Note : if you
don't have poster board around the house borrow a seven year old with a
school project for a couple of days and you will find you have an unending
supply )
Measure the depth of the tank at the mounting hole and mark it off from the
top of the poster board, which is 11 inches if I remember correctly .   Now
the 11 inch line is the bottom of the tank and the top of the poster board
is the top. Since all the sides of the  the Morgan  gas tank are
perpendicular to each other ( ie basically a box) 5 1/2 inches up from the
11 inch line is halve a tank. Place the float on the top o the 51/2 inch
line and the gauge should read 1/2 . You can then adjust the magnets to read
 correctly.
A WARNING : the wire windings of the magnets is very very fine wire and if
the magnet nut is loosened too much the magnet can turn and break the wire.
Be careful to loosen the nut only enough to slide the magnet . You can see a
piece of plastic ( or something) that is fitted to the slot . to keep the
magnet from turning. If you loosen up the nut more than the thickness of the
metal casing the magnet can turn.
( Does the above sound like a guy who has learned how to solder fine wire ?)

Bob Nogueira   'Who knows his way around school supplies but is
                 lost in Radio Shack '

PS Be sure to return the poster board to the kid, after all Science Fair
season is just around the corner !

   ------- REPLY, Original message follows --------

> Date: Wednesday, 08-Dec-99 03:18 PM
>
> From: William Eastman          \ Internet:    (william.eastman@medtronic.