Re: Gemmer steering box

To: dorothyr@pacbell.net, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gemmer steering box
From: TrmpetDave@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 00:59:55 EST
In a message dated 1/2/00 6:13:20 PM, dorothyr@pacbell.net writes:

<< Hi,
I'm thinking of replacing my +4 cam and peg steering box with the Gemmer
steering box.  Anyone have experience with this?  Does anyone know the turns
lock-to-lock of the Gemmer box?
Thanks
- Kevin Rivette >>

I have had the Gemmer box on my '71 plus 8 for several years. It seems to
have about the same number of  lock-to-lock turns as the original, and is
similarly heavy. I did notice quite a bit of shimmy after I first had it
installed  however, which I cured by installing a steering damper made for
the VW van. tThe steering damper wasn't too hard to install-I had a bracket
welded to the frame on the right side for one end of it, and attached the
other end to the tie-rod with U-bolts. Dave Collins, San Diego. PS the
tie-rod end of the damper comes pretty close to the radiator-a friend of mine
had one that gouged a hole in the lower radiator tank, so after you put it
on, check the lock to lock excursion, tisting the tie-rod back and forth at
each end of the travel, to be sure to ends of the U-bolts don't foul the
radiator.