Re: Federalization of Aero 8

To: Giampiero Pecelli <giam@cs.uml.edu>
Subject: Re: Federalization of Aero 8
From: "William G. Lamb, III" <lambroving@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 12:23:57 -0500
Hello, G.P.!

Your assumptions are likely "on the mark". It is refreshing to me
that someone out there is listening.

Right now, on the current NAS Plus 8, considerable work must
take place over here on the cars to fit side intrusion beams, brace
the sides of the tub where the door latch and hinges are attached,
and fit BMW-sourced bumper shocks to structures on the chassis
already mounted at the Works.

There is also short cycle E.P.A. testing to be done in Ann Arbor
to verify the emissions paperwork supplied by the manufacturer
on cars sold here with the same engine. Much will depend upon
the cooperation of BMW.

The crash testing will have been done for EC approval. There is
an enormous amount of Federal paperwork. Both U.S. Agents
have manufacturer status with the D.O.T. or little of this would
even be possible.

The P-8000 has been Charles Morgan's "baby" from the start
and I can recall him saying two years ago that this car was not
a replacement of the current range, but was aimed at a new
market while elements of the car could be incorporated in the
existing range as regulations in the future might require. CM
has always intended that the Aero 8 be sold here in quantity.
MMC would never have made the huge investment in air bag
technology for the current NAS Plus 8 were it not the intention
of MMC to sell them in quantity here and elsewhere.

I am not familiar with all the vagaries of EC 2003 Regulations,
but as you say, a good many may apply here or even exceed
Federal Regulations. Based upon all the unseen trials and
tribulations, I would anticipate seeing the first NAS Aero 8 hit
the streets around January, 2002 (at about the same time as
the KV-6 equipped Land Rover Freelander and BMW's Mini
Cooper & Cooper "S", which also require an additional year to
introduce as NAS variants).

Your pricing is a good guess at 80,000 U.S. plus options.
The average car will likely be 85,000 - 90,000 "out the door".

As I said before, the only question in my mind from the photos
concerns the manner in which the Federal 2 1/2 MPH bumper
standard has been addressed. It appears that the metal wings
are too close to both the front and rear to meet the dollar amount
of damage specified in this standard since the mid-point of this
structure must be ~ 18" high and the supporting structure beneath
must also extend ~ 1 1/2" above and below that mid-point under
some sort of "plastic" covering... and where/ how does one
fit a  2" wider number plate if the mesh in the front spoiler is
protecting oil coolers or radiators which need the air flow?

Willie