Re: Tire jack WHERE TO JACK is important!!!

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire jack WHERE TO JACK is important!!!
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <Chip.Brown@msdw.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:16:53 -0500
Well, there's a new string here. Phil knows his Morgans, but I've been
told by several others to be very judicious in jacking up the car front
and rear, that the preferred jacking points are midway along the frame
at reinforced points, and that you should take great care to use a shim
of protective material. I have been specifically advised NOT to jack at
the differential, because the tubes pressed into the casting could pull
loose. I don't know about the front cross piece, but if you ever bend
it, you change the steering geometry. As I said in the prior email, I've
been jacking along the sides only at specific points. I no longer put
jack stands under the axle tubes, although I imagine if you're gentle
enough, it won't do any damage. From the front, if I have to jack up the
front end, I put my block of 2x6 under the sump and GENTLY raise the car
high enough to put jack stands under the frame. I would think for
changing tires on the road, that jacking on the side would be safest.
Lift the whole side and you don't stress the frame as much.

PS-As most of the readers of this list know, I am no pro at this, and
only write all of this to provoke the real experts to give us their
views on jacking points. I'd await  word from others to form your
opinion.

Chip Brown