RE: Clarification of ignition warning light question!

To: "'Ernest(Chip) Brown'" <Chip.Brown@msdw.com>,
Subject: RE: Clarification of ignition warning light question!
From: "Willburn,Gerry" <gerry.Willburn@vcincorp.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:15:10 -0700
As was stated, one side of the lamp is connected to the "ignition on" (white
wire) side of the ignition switch and the other side of the lamp is
connected to the generator output (the "small" yellow wire on the "D"- for
dynamo- terminal of the regulator).  The circuit DOES NOT pass through the
regulator.

When the output of the generator is lower than the voltage of the battery,
the light will be on.  The current path is from the battery through the
light, through the generator to ground then back to the other side of the
battery (the battery is "charging" the generator).  When the output of the
generator rises to the level of the battery, the light goes out.

There are two conditions where the light could be on while the generator is
working.  Both involve the generator output being MUCH higher than the
battery voltage.

In the first instance the "dropout relay" (inboard coil on the regulator)
has not picked up.  The Open circuit voltage from the generator will
generally be in the range of 16V to 18V depending on the setting of the
regulator.  This is most likely not the case as he says the ammeter
indicates the battery is charging.

The second instance requires that the charging rate setting of the regulator
(outboard relay) be set MUCH too high (or uncontrolled).  If there is enough
resistance in the charging system the generator output can become enough
higher than the battery to cause the light to come on.  The charging rate
should be adjusted on the regulator after swapping battery polarity.

There is also, I suppose the possibility that one side of the light is
connected to ground and not where it is supposed to be.  If the yellow wire
is grounded instead of being connected to the generator output, the light
will come on when the ignition is turned on (as normal) and then will get
brighter as the generator connects to the battery.  This would be
exaggerated by a low battery.  If the white wire on the lamp is grounded
instead of being connected to the ignition switch, the lamp will be out when
the ignition is first switched on and then vary in brightness directly with
generator output.

Assuming the lamp worked properly before the switch to negative ground, and
the system seems to be otherwise working, it is most likely the case that
the charging rate of the regulator is set too high.

Gerry