Re: wheel bearing.

To: <TrmpetDave@aol.com>, <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel bearing.
From: "William Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 12:41:35 -0500
Dave,

There are only three reasons that I can think of that this washer would
turn.  The first is that your outer wheel bearing is frozen and the
inner race is turning on the shaft.  The second is that, for some
reason, the washer is contacting the outer bearing race and turning with
the hub.  The third possibility is that you are leaving the bearings too
loose or a previous bearing failure has damaged the spindle.  In any
case it is not good.  If it were my car, I would pull the hub apart and
address the issue since you wheel may be heading for an "out of Morgan"
experience.  Between the spinning bearing and the groove worn by the
washer, you will probably need to replace your spindle.  The groove can
act as a stress-riser and the spindle could break there under high
stress such as negotiating a high-speed corner.

Maybe I missed something and the issue is more benign.  But I read your
post twice and this is my understanding.

Good luck,
Bill