RE: Louvers in the bonnet; conversations with Mauirce Owen & Chri

To: Howie <hclark@mail.dcwi.com>, Chas Wasser <ohmog@fuse.net>,
Subject: RE: Louvers in the bonnet; conversations with Mauirce Owen & Chri
From: Scott Seidler <sseidler@easterndatacomm.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:05:45 -0400
Listers,
Let me point out a fact which may be moot at this point.

The typical +4 engine - lets say TR anything - is the heaviest iron hunk of
baot anchor ive seen compared to any new (read last 20 or so years) engine
on the market. The amount of iron in these engines, heads, etc. sure doesnt
act like a jeat sink wicking down the temperature.

Take a Harley Davidson for example (ok maybe near and dear to my heart) the
older Harley's of the "Iron Head" years have the same issue. They get hot
enough to roast your leg even with the help of oil cooling and oil heat
exchangers. On a hot day, to stop at a red light, is like stirring a pot on
the stove. Many a day I have parked my bike at work only to feel the heat
coming off the heavy iron engine from 20 or better feet away.

Metals that retain less heat, aluminum for example - which is where most of
the motorcycle heads have gone, retain less heat and therefore overheat (and
crack) less. Too bad there isnt an aluminum TR engine (is there?) - My guess
is it would run a whole lot cooler.

In reference to the oil coolers and air dams; if you mount the oil cooler
lower down -- say under an air dam - your cooling performance should be
dramatically improved at lower speeds. This would provide better airflow
through the cooler and the radiator since neither will be blocked by the
each other.

My suggestion -- and being new at this dispute it all you wish because i
could have my head checking for pollups -- is to design an air dam that
incorporates an oil cooler under it. This will provide two welcome functions
and possibly a fourth perk as well.

1- It will concentrate air across and through the radiator at speed - at low
speeds an electic fan with or without a shroud will bey key at this point -
with the air damn pushing higher volumes at speed the engine will stay
cooler even with the partial blocking caused by the fan. at low speeds the
fan will push (or draw) air through and should help there.(Perhaps a little
water wetter may not be a bad idea either - i know race cars/bikes pretty
much go all the way with the water wetter product.)

2- The oil cooler -- should -- help at speed. Im still not sure that it
makes a huge difference in any car not being pushed hard - but every little
bit helps. If this were located under the dam/scoop and built into it - then
air would be forced into and through that unit as well. with it mounted
below the upper scoop that directs air through the radiator there will be no
blockage to the radiator.

*perk* The scoop/dam with the oil cooler integrated in it would look pretty
damn nice compared to having the oil cooler mounted beind the grill!

If anyone is interested I have a drawing that illustrates this idea and will
be the basis for the fiberglass version I am going to fabriacte for my +4
(If and When it ever gets done!)

A little fodder for the string.....

--Scott

56 +4 4 Seat (more or less)