Re: Louvers in the bonnet; conversations with Mauirce Owen & Chris Lawre

To: "Chas Wasser" <ohmog@fuse.net>, "Morganlist" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Louvers in the bonnet; conversations with Mauirce Owen & Chris Lawrence
From: "David Bondon" <david.bondon@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:04:53 -0400
Louvered Listers

As a past owner of a number of road and racing Morgans with and without
louvers I have observed the following:

The most effective improvement to the cooling is the rubber air dam
mentioned here by others.  I have used this trick since the truck guys
figured it out years ago.

The Morgan SLR which I raced for years never over heated and had no louvers.

I agree that there is a low pressure area just behind the headlamp. I have
been trying to decide if ducting to this area would make my 4/4 (with dry
sump Lotus Twin Cam) run better if I ran it to the carb box or used it to
pull air from the radiator area. I guess it is also a possibility that front
downforce would be improved if this area was louvered to the wheel well.

For Daytona I  fabricated a front belly pan and very carefully calculated
the cross sectional area of the louvers I put in it  so that the total for
the bonnet and belly pan was 10% more than the radiator opening. It worked
great! (Beat all the Porsche 356's and most of the 2L 911's in the enduro)
Not a hint of overheating. I just ran the car in 90 degree heat two weeks
ago and confirmed that it stays cool. In other words on my car the hot air
has to come out through the louvers, and it does.

Now that I know this I am going to start working on the ducting to the carbs
to give them a little more positive pressure to work with.

I have used foam rubber around the radiator to keep all the air going one
way but never was able to verify that it made much difference.

New aluminum radiators work so well that all of the above is probably
unnecessary! If you go this route put a secondary screen in front of the
core to protect from stones etc.

SuperDave