RE: Louvers in the Bonnet

To: "'David McCoy'" <gdm_1419@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Louvers in the Bonnet
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:38:12 -0400
Dave,

Wait no longer; see my e-mail dated yesterday, copied below:

Len,

Not just the +8, but also the 4/4 and the +4 (but, apparently not the new
Aero 8) have louvres.  I'm not an engineer (aerospace or otherwise) but I
suspect that, when the car is in forward motion, the louvres force the air
rushing over the bonnet away from the bonnet and create a partial vacuum to
help suck the air out.  The only other way for air to escape is through the
bottom of the engine compartment.  I agree, the louvres look cool but are
hard on the finger tips when polishing the car. But, "no pain, no gain."

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB
'52 +4 (complete with louvres)

Chuck (radiochemistry; not physics)