Re: Why I didn't make it to Mid-Ohio this year

To: <HOOGLY@aol.com>, <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Why I didn't make it to Mid-Ohio this year
From: "Lannis" <ottoflick@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 02:59:28 -0400
John-

Thanks for sharing this all-Morgan experience with us!!  Wonder what the
loud "BANG" was?   Grade-5 bolts and locknuts sound like a good solution no
matter what the original trouble turns out to be!

I was Mogging down the highway one day and was passed by a person who
persuaded me to gas it hard and catch up with her (for reasons which will
remain obscure to the list).  As I passed the 85 mph point, the cockpit was
suddenly filled with loud banging, popping, horrifying engine noises.  I
just KNEW that when I got stopped and popped the hood I would be greeted by
the raw end of a connecting rod leering at me out of the side of the little
Ford block.

In fact, the first exhaust connection (clamp) below the header had come
loose, and the tailpipe was trailing 6 feet out behind the car.  The
combination of this thing scraping on the highway, combined with a 2-3/4"
open exhaust with no baffles (well, just the exhaust valves) 3 feet from my
ear, had created this cacaphony, which was easily fixed, although I never
caught up with my intended goal.

Hope you're back on the road soon!   Just OWNING a Morgan is more fun than
DRIVING any other kind of car.....repeat 20
times......ommmmmmmmm.......ommmmmmmmm.......

Lannis