Re: clutch master cylinder

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clutch master cylinder
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:08:02 -0400
At 06:45 PM 6/27/00 -0500, Tony wrote:

>Can anyone help? I have removed the master cylinder from a 1971 Plus 8, and
>am unable to get the piston out of it. The old style said to just slide the
>piston out, but this one is apparently retained by a pin somewhere, and
>won't come out. It is free, and slides without difficulty though. The body
>is one piece, and there is no evident slot or access to release any kind of
>pin. The name "Girling 625 " is stamped on the side of it. Does anyone know
>how to release it?
>
>I would like to remove the piston to see if the seals are all right, and
>also to ask if there is a kit to repair it.

Tony,

   I don't know if your MC is similar to the ones in the Spit or not.  Do
you have twin MC with a large plastic resivor to feed both the front and
rear parts of the MC?

   If so, try removing the plastic resivor - should be 2 pins.  Once it
is out, there should be a rubber seal where the resivor attaches to the
back 1/2 of the MC.  Carefully lift/pry this seal out.  You should see
a pin in the recessed area where the seal was.  Mearly pull the pin and
the piston should fall out.  Assuming that your MC. is similar to the
one I just described, and you have the pin out, you may need to use a
little gentle persuasion from an air compressor.  But be carefull and
start at a very low pressure, and be sure to have something in front of
the MC. to catch the piston when it flys out.  A rag loosly folded around
the MC will usually work.

Hope this helps.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan