Re: The sound of an 8 cylinder

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The sound of an 8 cylinder
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 06:11:20 -0400
"A.Schaap" wrote:

> I have a Morgan plus 8 with two exhaust pipes. The only pots are under the
> thresholds. (The katalisators replaced by deletion pipes) The sound is very
> smooth, (too smooth) but it does not sound the "fat" "heavy" way
> characterising an 8 cylinder. Someone suggested I should kick a pin in the
> pot from the frontside to make an extra hole in the first barrage.
> Any suggestions ?
> Alex

Hi Alex,

I am guessing if you originally had "cats", a dual system, resonators
and a quiet "smooth" sound, you have a very new +8. Please be aware that
changing the car the way you are doing has a significant effect on
emission levels. You may have also altered the torque band to some
unknown degree and effect on a delicately balanced engine management
system.

That being said, your "problem" is indeed with your "silencers".
However, the thought of piercing holes in these makes me wince
especially when all that will likely produce is high-pitched wheezing
sounds which is probably NOT what you are looking for.

You will get the sound (at least) that you are looking for by changing
your silencers to the 1972-1976 Plus 8 version. (This will require some
bracket adjustments, perhaps larger bore pipes and 2 adapters). They
were designed as virtually  flow-throughs (Hollywoods) and are available
in stainless steel, polished or unpolished. It is widely agreed that
this system was the best sounding of the +8 lineup.

Lorne