TR Engine Colors - Revisited

To: "morgans@autox.team.net" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR Engine Colors - Revisited
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@mdmpe.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:45:17 -0700
Having now reached the threshold of painting the block on my '61 +4
(TR-3 motor) I went back to an earlier thread on this list (1996
comments on engine colors) to do a bit of research.  Sure enough I
found as expected that black was the typical color for the TR-2,3,4
engines.

What threw me however is that in John Worralls book (Original Morgan
4/4, Plus 4 and Plus 8), he mentions that "the Vanguard block was
painted black, whereas the Triumph engine was maroon.".

The accompaning photos (pp 52, 53) show a TR-4 motor in black.  I've
decided on black anyway but I thought the contradiction to be a bit
curious.  Any further comments?

The two other areas of color concern are the clutch bell housing
(which appears a 'natural' metal finish in the photos) and the Moss
gearbox housing.  Any comments or suggestions?

--
"Entropy Happens!"
Michael D. Miles, PE  Consulting Design Engineer