Re: [MSCC DG] Plus 8 temperature sender

To: MSCC DISCUSSION GROUP <MSCCDISCUSSION@listbot.com>,
Subject: Re: [MSCC DG] Plus 8 temperature sender
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 20:37:18 -0400
Gary Moles wrote:

>Hi all,
>My 1978 Plus 8 has the two-wire temperature sender mounted in the radiator
>see pg 111 of John Worrall's book. It has now decided to pop-out once the
>>cooling system begins to reach operating pressure (temperature). Whilst the
>>system has worked well since 1978, I would like to change to a sender unit
>>that screws into the radiator.
>Best regards  Gary

Hi Gary,

The unit is not a Lucas item but is an "Otter" switch. It too is a two
wire pressure plug-in that fits in the bottom of the rad rather than the
top but uses the same Smiths gauge.

Without hurting anyone's sensibilites, I must say I am not a fan of this
plug-in either. Maurice Owen campaigned against it as well. He didn't
succeed a close friend of his told me Owen always carried a bottle or
two of coolant just in case. Many racers have it changed as well.

When I upgraded my rad to a Griffin aluminum, they used my stock
radiator as a model. It came as a perfect match except for the hole for
the Otter plug-in which they absolutely refused to countenance. They
gave me a standard 22mm threaded hole and I bought a Rover rad switch
for it. The only difference in on/off temps is the newer Rover will open
at 106C and close at 92 rather than your present one which will open at
108 at close at 88. It will, of course, require a 22mm threaded fitting
to be welded on the radiator but that should not be a problem for any
machine shop.

Lorne