? fuel injection

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net, morgans@autox.team.net,
Subject: ? fuel injection
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 16:54:44 -0400
This doesn't have any Bricklin, Morgan, or British car content.  But
I know that several of you on the various list have domestics also.

I have an 89 Voyager Minivan with fuel injection.  Chrysler for some
reason, didn't see fit to put a schrader valve in the fuel system to
check fuel pressure.  So I decided to do it myself.  After spending a
lot of time at various hardware stores trying to find just a schrader
valve, I got smart.  Went to a Ford dealer and bought the one that they
have in their fuel rail.  Now the problem is trying to put this thing
in my fuel system.

I'd like to make a universal sort of thing, instead of having to remove
and drill and tap my fuel rail.  So I just spent several hours running
around to all the local hardware stores looking for parts to make this
adapter from.  Found most of what I think will work.  But thought I'd
ask the collective if what I plan on doing is correct.

The supply fuel line is 5/16" id.  So I went looking of some brass 5/16"
barbs.  Found some 5/16" barbs to 1/8" male pipe fittings, and then found
a brass "T" with 3 - 1/8" female fittings.  The schrader valve appears to
have a 5/16" x 24tpi thread on it.  (Which I know I will NOT find in the
brass fittings.)  So I went looking for a 1/8" pipe plug to put if the
last outlet of the "T".  I figure I could drill and tap it for the
schrader valve.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Does this seem logical? - With the universal adapter, I can move it from
   Chrysler to Chrysler when I have to work on them.

2. Will the pipe thread seal for use with fuel?  I plan on putting some
   Loctite on the threads.

I'd like to leave this adapter in place on my Van, and only move it when I
have to work on another Chrysler.  However, if the pipe thread is NOT
recommended for fuel, then I could use it simply when checking fuel pressure.

Any comments would be appreciated.  If anyone has done this before, I'd
be interested in hearing what you did.

TIA

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan