Re: +4

To: Linda & Nelson Warner <nrwarner@pop.snet.net>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: +4
From: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 21:45:22 -0500
Nelson,

I replaced mine with the engine installed. Mine had a bad seal around the
crank pulley and it slung oil all over the place. The fine mist of oil
building up on the windscreen was a sure tipoff that something was amiss.

Remove the cowl and radiator for easier access. Good time to have the
radiator serviced and replace all the hoses and belt. Even better, it's a
good time to switch to a narrow pulley system, retrofit an alternator,
install an electric fan and fabricate some air dams to make sure all the
air available passes through the radiator, not around it.

You might want to replace the timing chain tensioner while you've got it
open. These wear. Also, mark the timing pulley so you'll put it back
indexed correctly on the crankshaft. I missed this last step and gave
myself a little more work to do the next time I set the timing.

Jerry Murphy
'67 +4