Re. Gearbox Problems

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re. Gearbox Problems
From: Bjørn Schage <schage@online.no>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:29:09 +0100
I think I might be the one talking about a conversion from Moss to Volvo.

I've had it done to both my -62 +4 4-str. and my early +8. In my +4 I did it to
please the Missus. Having 3 children she had to drive one Mog, and she weren't
too happy about the lack of syncro in the Moss-box. The Volvo-box is wonderful
(M40-box). The gearspacing is better that in the Moss-box, and the syncro is
good. Having to shorten the gearstick has made it seem a bit stiffer, but that
really isn't a problem.

Very few modifications must be done to make the box fit. You need to make an
adapter-plate ( e.g. in 3/4 inch aluminium (aluminum?)) in the front and back
and drill a few new holes in the crossmember, but that's about it.

In my +8 I did it to get an overdrive-unit using an M41 unit with a Laycock
overdrive. That proved to be a bit more difficult to do, as the entire
bellhousing and transaxle had to be redesigned. I've used it all summer, and it
works very well, exept for the fact that my engine is trimmed to app. 250 BHP,
and I've blown the 1. gear ( a few times :-( ). I'm currently in the process of
finding a more sturdy box that will fit, and downsizing the engine a bit. I
just love that overdrive!!!

Happy Morganeering

Bjxrn Schage