RE: NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE

To: Ed Townley <townley@zianet.com>
Subject: RE: NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:51:48 -0700

Official US Response to Independence Revocation Notice To the Governing
Bodies of the United Kingdom:

Your notice came as quite a shock to the vast majority of us who did not
realize that the United Kingdom was still in existence.  The complete lack
of any usable culture, products, services, entertainment, or  medical
advancement coming from Britain was at fault, and we apologize.  After a
tiresome day spent tracking our enormous wealth and power, it was a
bizarre
notice indeed.

Your "suggestion" has been considered and I am very sorry to say, denied.
As
a concession, however, it was universally agreed that you may have  Utah.
Our reasoning is outlined below.

1)  While we have been unable to decide who will lead our country for 2
weeks, it seems that the UK has been in that state for many years.  It  was
unclear to us why we would need two leaders permanently in the forms of the
Prime Minister AND the Queen.  Also, we had a problem with Tony Blair
personally, as he is so overtly gay.

2)  A bit of research indicated that you are having difficulty keeping  your
fuel prices below $2.10 per ounce and your taxes below 95% (what is this
"VAT" anyway?), while still maintaining an expensive monarchy.  This type of
fiscal prudence would not mix well with our aforementioned  enormous  wealth
and power.

3)  Reverting to the English style of speaking would simply be too
inefficient.  In fact, we are considering teaching an entirely new  language
to our youth comprised entirely of grunts and hand gestures. Communication
is quicker, more efficient, and allows us to continue to  lead the planet
in
accumulating power and wealth.  Plus, we don't sound like pompous  asses.

4)  We accept your provision 7, the bombing of Quebec and France, as long as
you'll sweep up.

5)  Hollywood actually attempted to cast British actors in heroic roles in
the late 80's, but gave up when they could find none that were more
masculine then Liberace.

6)  In reviewing your form of football it became clear that soccer is  not a
sport, but rather a simple form of cardiovascular exercise.  Additionally,
when the "games" are completed, the tradition of trying to  kill as many
opposing fans as possible was deemed unacceptable. On the  rare  occasion
that
one of the 300 league teams involved actually scores a goal, the closing of
banks and government offices in order to allow more time to  discuss the
goal
was also considered somewhat inefficient. American football  will continue
played with vigour.  The reason for the padding, by the  way, is the ability
of our athletes to run fast, jump high, and hit hard.  You don't  need
padding for a girly slap fight.

In closing, may we just  say  we were flattered by your overtures, but
simply do not see a merger being  possible at this time.  Perhaps with a
little hard work, you can pull  yourselves up by your bootstraps, and
someday
be considered to be in the same league as, say, Micronesia.

Meantime, thank you for your interest and do keep in touch!

--Citizens of the United States of America