RE: seat belts

To: morgans@autox.team.net, "'Marv Coulthard'"
Subject: RE: seat belts
From: Terry Dowling <tdowling@gesb.wa.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:48:54 +0800
I would've thought that someone thinks there's a reason for all of the
"nannying" type things and it relates to preventing accidents and injury,
thus reducing health and care costs.

Here in Perth, Australia, where we regularly have summer days in the high
30s, low 40s (90 - 105F) someone worked out the "average health" has
diminished as a result of the compulsory helmet law. This is due to the
number of people who choose not to cycle with a helmet has reduced average
fitness, and this outweighs the benefits of fewer head injuries. Still, I
reckon I wouldn't be around if I hadn't been wearing one when I landed on my
head a couple of years ago. I still got knocked out and destroyed my helmet.
I've always chosen to wear one and that reinforced my belief in their
usefulness.

For some reason I haven't bothered putting belts in the Morgan. Not sure why
as I probably wouldn't be here if I hadn't been wearing one when I rolled a
car three times - avoiding a flock of sheep on a remote country highway. I
probably should've made shiskebabs out of them instead! That's what their
owner said, anyway.

Cheers,
Terry

Standard disclaimer:
Any recipient of this communication acknowledges that:
* the Government Employees Superannuation Board accepts no responsibility for
the contents nor the validity of this communication; and
* they do not rely on any view given unless it is properly authorised.