RE: SUVs

To: "'lmg@gomog.com'" <lmg@gomog.com>
Subject: RE: SUVs
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:53:11 -0500
Lorne,

I can't speak for Tony, who will most likely reply as well.  SUVs make a
handy target so it's hard not to throw snowballs at them. ;-)  Much, if not
all, that I wrote about SUVs was written with tongue in cheek (easier to
have tongue in cheek when e-mailing than talking).

I'm working in the energy sector and consider myself an environmentalist.  I
subscribe, to a certain extent, to the "small is beautiful" approach that
suggests that we can do more with less. I am also aware that there is only
so much oil that we can wring out of the bowels of the earth.  If, as you
say, SUVs use more gas than a fwd vehicle, this means that what SUVs gobble
up will not be available for the rest of us.  And, yes, I am aware that,
energy wise, it may be more efficient to transport six people in a SUV than
one in a Morgan.

I'm sure that there is a place for SUVs and I also admit that it is easy for
me to talk, as long as the snowplow comes around our street and along the
highways that I want to use.  I look at amazement at the slope of some of
the driveways in Abbotsford, BC, where my dad lives: if you live at the end
of one of those steep driveways and it is snowing when you wake up, you
might as well stay in bed because there's no way you are going to get up of
down those driveways. Having said that, though, what did people do before
here were SUVs?

Lorne, I would not dislike you because you have an SUV.  I appreciate your
contributions to this medium of exchange.

Chuck

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]

///
///