SUV`n & Club badge

To: <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: SUV`n & Club badge
From: "George Dow" <gdow@pylon8.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:50:43 -0000
Hi There
             On SUV`s and their impractical usage....
Seems that a great many of these vehicles are used in i.e. the London area
where there is little or no call for such transport, from what I read here
there seems to exist a similar market for suv`s elsewhere. I might go as far
as to say that the ad men have done such a great job on the minds of the
general populace that even 2wd non off road vehicles sporting race derived
appendages are acceptable in this market, as long as they look like off
roaders !!!

Now I ain`t no tree hugger, but...... I think it would be a good idea if the
ad guys could lead the mindless into small fuel efficient cars..... Now I
have no idea what the stats on that would be...... But judging by the number
of folk who buy trainers with a tick or belts with just the right buckle or
labels stitched on the outside of their apparel not to mention trademark /
names blazoned across their everyday wear even tatoo`d on their skin........
I`m guessing the planet would be a good deal cleaner and safer.......I
imagine that these little cars  could career around the place with there
strong passenger cells equipped with crash bags in every panel and crumple
zones everywhere their light weight minimising the kinetic energy in any
crash, good idea ? The only proviso is that the independent thinkers among
us are allowed to drive whatever fire breathing monsters we wish with no
requirement to meet emissions standards.

I would be happy in a Range Rover with all the toys and leather cruising
down the road in armchair comfort disregarding all the "little" people in
their Armani, Pierre Cardin  YSL or Nike buzz boxes, or when out in a Mog to
have all that it takes to find my own spot in the road among them and have
the power and handling to move to a new position at will and without fear of
being crushed by a brain dead driver in a big machine.

Still I`m dreaming...... All this from the guy who wants EFI to have
selectable programming at the press of a dash mounted selector, Efficiency,
emissions, fast road, track, as selected options....Perhaps a learning mode
for particular tracks in order that it knows where the power is in need of
increase, cause your pedal is to the metal....... Yea I know ...... Dream
on...... Though it could be done.

Bob, I know little of vintage badges. There is a road safety organisation
here in the UK that promotes safer driving by teaching the principals that
are taught to our police drivers, the idea being to increase awareness of
defensive driving and to be aware of the ever changing situations that arise
while driving along. The description I give is a generalisation, though I`m
sure you get the idea. The organisation is the Institute of Advanced
Motorists or IAM. The IAM has "associate members", these are the folk who
have as yet not passed the test of their road skills usually carried out by
a serving "traffic" police officer.
The triangle has road safety implications in this country as way back when
road signs of an important nature had a red triangle mounted on the top of
the post, The current badge of the IAM is made up of three triangles within
a circle, I will scan a sample and send you it direct in JPEG format. The
IAM is still on
the go and badges are available only  to those who pass the test. There may
have an associate badge, I ain`t no expert. There is an IAM web site.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,   George.

///
///