Re: Radiator catch tank

To: Kevin Karp <kkarp@gbis.com>
Subject: Re: Radiator catch tank
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@mdmpe.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:17:52 -0800
I've seen a very nice treatment in a 1962 Morgan using an MGB catch
tank.  Don't forget to get the mounting bracket pieces with it.  Moss
lists the part (459-690) at $160 so I think some junkyard searching
may be in order.  It has a classic 'pillow' look to it and sits
vertically on the firewall very nicely.

Another option is to track down a Plus 8 tank which would lend a
genuine flavor.  I understand the earlier ones were metal but all the
new ones are polypropylene.

Hot Rod sources probably have thermos bottle style machined aluminum
if that turns you on.

I once received a suggestion to use a Jag catch tank.  They have a
slightly angled neck so the mounting location may require a bit more
consideration.  Finding one and then telling the Jag owner that its
going onto a Morgan may require the acceleration of a Plus 8 to get
out of range of the dagger gaze (note to Jag owners: JUST KIDDING! ...
mostly) ;-)

My '68 has a polypropylene tank that the previous owner scavenged out
of a Volvo or Saab but my '62 will have a Plus 8 catch tank (after I
pry it out of the current owners grip).

--
"Entropy Happens!"
Michael D. Miles, PE  Consulting Design Engineer

///