Re: Cooling Difficulties w/ a Flat Rad

To: BobTescione <mogman@rpa.net>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cooling Difficulties w/ a Flat Rad
From: smanwell <smanwell@sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:35:17 -0500
Hi Bob,

Do you know if the water jackets around the cylinder liners are clear?
(I.e. have you had the engine apart?)

A 3/4 club member in our area had a similar problem with his +4, tried
all sorts of external-to-engine fixes, but eventually took the engine
apart and found the waterways were blocked.

I have a similar problem with my 4/4 and have found a discouraging
clue:  nothing drains out of the drain cock on the side of the block
*and* I can't get any water to flow into this port with a garden hose
forced against the openning.  I think my next step is to remove the head
and try to rod out the water ways.  We had no problems driving it to the
club Christmas party in December, but 45 mph is about max on a warm
day.

One caveat is that our 4/4 has an MGA engine, but has the original
radiator once connected to 1172cc Ford engine.  I'll probably add an oil
cooler and/or electric fan if I continue to have problems after
attempting to clean out the water ways.

--Steve

> restored, I wasnt able to drive the car above about 45 before the temp
> started to climb again. I did drive the car again on a couple of
> occasions at lower speeds and didnt have a problem.
>
> Is this a parts replacement problem, or can it possibly be solved just
> by flushing the cooling system?

///
///