Re: "Tooling around"

To: Fred Schuchard <fschuch@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: "Tooling around"
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:40:17 -0700
Hey Fred,

The "tooling around" question is WAY too easy!

Since at least 1812 "tool" has been a transitive verb meaning "to cause a
vehicle to go. DRIVE."

So, literally, tooling around means driving around...

Cheers!

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'41 Chevrolet Coupe 350/350, '65 Sunbeam Tiger (FOR SALE), '66 Morgan Plus
Four, '89 Alfa Romeo Spider (FOR SALE)

> From: "Fred Schuchard" <fschuch@mindspring.com>
> Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:54:21 -0500
> To: "Morgan List" <morgans@autox.team.net>
> Subject: "Tooling around"
>
> Hi Listers!
>
> Recently, in a discussion with a fellow British car enthusiast, the
> expression, "tooling around" was used. He wondered about the origin of this
> expression. I told him that someone on the Morgan forum HAD to know! How about
> it?
>
> Fred Schuchard
> '63 Plus 4 DHC

///